[Koha] patron categories

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Sat Jul 5 03:56:39 NZST 2014

Eric,

> I am having a lot of problems getting Koka (version 3.14.08) up and running. I am running things on Linux (Fedora 7). I have complied, tested, and installed the latest and greatest versions of YAZ and Zebra. I am running MySQL 14. I have run zebrasrv but I do not see any ports (9999 or 9998) open when I run netstat -tulpn. I don’t have a2enmod nor a2ensite on my computer, but after symbolically linking the koha-httpd.conf to my Apache conf.d directory, and after editing the IP address from localhost to my machine’s “real” IP address, I am able to connect to both the public interface as well as the intranet with my Web browser.

Brave. I wouldn't be willing to use Koha under a non-Debian-based
Linux distribution. There be dragons.

Perhaps you mean RHEL 7? Fedora 7 is pretty old. Also, I'm not sure
what you mean by "MySQL 14," but you should really probably be using
MySQL or MariaDB 5.1+ if that's not what you have. The default
configuration for Zebra does not open any ports. Koha uses unix
sockets for communicating with Zebra by default.

> Creating a patron profile is problematic. I fill to the form trying to create a staff patron. I summit the form. The screen goes blank for a second or two, and returns saying "No categories have been defined. Create a new category.” I’m stuck in an endless loop.
>
> What am I missing?

You need to create a patron *category* not a new staff patron. Under
Administration->Patron categories
(http://manual.koha-community.org/3.16/en/patscirc.html#patcats ).

Regarding your other e-mail, I have no idea why adding a Z39.50 server
wouldn't be working. It works fine for me. However, to address your
thought that sometimes Koha is using the command line client and
sometimes it's using Perl DBI to access the database, the only time
Koha uses the command line client is for the initial installation.
Other than that, pretty much everything is via DBI.

Good luck!

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/