[Koha] Using Koha without barcodes

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Thu Feb 20 07:40:03 NZDT 2014

We don't use bar codes, but every Item has an accession number.  We're
using the accession number in the bar code field, as they are unique and
pertain only to that item.  That may be an option.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Fischer, Katrin
<Katrin.Fischer at bsz-bw.de>wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>
> there is a new feature in 3.14 that will allow checking out books without
> having to use barcodes.
>
> See: http://koha-community.org/koha-3-14-release-managers-update-2/
>
> "Bug 7494: optional checkout-time fallback search for a book. This
> enhancement adds an option to perform a keyword search to look up an item
> during checkout if it is not found by barcode. This means that Koha will no
> longer require item barcodes for circulation to work -- a feature that
> hopefully will be of use for special collections."
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Katrin

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)