[Koha] Location and item information (Marc 952) from Koha 2.x to 3.14

Giuseppe Angilella Giuseppe.Angilella at ct.infn.it
Mon Feb 17 05:59:03 NZDT 2014

Hi,

I'm in the progress of updating my Koha system here from 2.x to 3.14 (a
giant leap, seemingly!)

After using the built-in migration scripts and fixing many local
inconsistencies, I am left with the Koha-to-Marc mapping of the subfields
in the 952 tab (Location and item information).

I am keeping Koha 2.x Marc framework as a default, and using Koha 3.14
Marc framework to catalogue all new biblios and items. I plan to edit all
old biblios (and items) gradually and individually, change them into the
new framework, and fill in the missing fields.

However, although this seems to work with biblio records, some
inconsistencies seem to remain with existing items. After editing and
changing framework for a given biblio, I can only edit existing items
through the "barcode" link. The framework structure for tag 952 in Koha
3.14 then appears (with most fields blank, of course), and the itemnumber
showing in the 952.u subfield, now reserved for the Uniform Resource
Identifier. Other values are also assigned to wrong fields, both in the
intranet form for cataloguing and in the Opac.

I would expect that filling the (new) fields correctly and saving would
result in an updated item, now belonging to and complying with the (new)
framework. In particular, I would expect that a further attempt at editing
the same item would show the correct values filling the appropriate
fields. But this is not the case: even though I can check (via direct
access to the mysql database) that any modification has indeed taken place
as desired, it seems as if the item is still interpreting those values as
corresponding to fields arranged as in the old Marc framework.

(The bibliographic framework test returns OK, with all the columns in the
items table mapped to the 952 subfields as in the "new" framework.)

On the other hand, items belonging to biblio records still in the default
(old) framework are displayed correctly.

Is the Marc framework only specific to biblio records? Shouldn't it be
possible to have items belonging to different frameworks?

Can two frameworks with different Koha-to-Marc mappings in the 952 tag, as
in my case, coexist?

Any comment and hopefully help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Giuseppe.