[Koha] Proposal for fund raising for Koha - to discuss/vote at December General Meeting.

BWS Johnson abesottedphoenix at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 13:56:11 NZDT 2014

Salvete!

> 1. A fund-raising organization should not focus exclusively on
> development; Koha should also have reserve funds available for legal
> costs to protect its status, and HLT should receive some funds for
> administrative costs.

    I concur wholeheartedly. Some other happy purposes could be Conference related, scholarship related, et cetera.

> 3. While I would expect most of the funds raised to be in relatively
> small amounts, certainly large organizations frequently support
> open-source projects with large grants, and these possibilities should
> be considered.

    Preach on bruddah. This will continue to be a lost opportunity as long as there isn't a formalised structure. Large funders are very skittish about donating substantial amounts to something amorphous, no matter how good the rationale for decentralised decision making might be.

> 5. After significant funds are raised someone should purchase Biblionix
> and open-source Apollo. Then Sirsi. :)

    Why stop there? We can diversify and acquire Rydges and Godiva. Integration, my friend. ;)

Cheers,
Brooke