[Koha] Permission to catalog with certain framework or item type and other features

schnydszch eugenegf at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 03:18:23 NZST 2014

Hello Koha community! This came up in one of the discussions with our
Cataloging and Reference/Circulation staff. We have books and non-book item
types (laws entered into the Koha ILS), the books are catalogued and entered
into the Koha ILS by the Cataloging staffs. However, non-book item types
such as laws and vertical files are entered into the ILS by the Reference
staffs. These are done through the cataloguing module of Koha ILS. The
Cataloguing Head is hesitant or does not want non-Cataloguing/Technical
staffs to have access to the Cataloguing Module of our Koha ILS, just
paranoid that records may get lost or deleted but I have already told them
that there are precautionary measures to avert this like the Koha ILS'
database is being backed up daily and it has audit logs so that it can be
seen in the audit log which person did this and that. But I still have to
convince the Cataloguing Head. So I'm thinking if a feature on permission to
certain Frameworks or Item Types is under development for future release, or
will this be a nice feature to file a bug for? Or there are libraries with
same dilemma as we have? That a certain staff can only add, edit, delete
certain records on a particular framework, or can add, edit, delete certain
records with particular item type. There also came up in our discussion some
sort of workflow wherein a cataloger added records into the Koha ILS,
another cataloger checked and edited the record, and the Head Cataloger
approves the catalogs. A MARC field of Encoders and Editors can be added to
accommodate the names of the catalogers, and make this viewable in the
Normal view. Although, this can also be viewable in the modification log,
our superiors want to see the encoder (first person who worked on the
catalog) and editor (the checker). I also thought since the Head Cataloger
is not that techy be given a button interface that would make the catalog
records ready to be viewable by the public. Any thoughts from other Koha
users? OR will this be possible in the next releases? Thanks and more power!