[Koha] spammers using the list

chrisc at catalyst.net.nz chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Apr 24 07:18:43 NZST 2014

On 2014-04-23 12:16, Elaine Bradtke wrote:
> I first noticed this on Monday 21 April.  I'm getting sleazy spam
> (complete
> with pictures) addressed to me, using the subject line of messages
> that
> I've sent to Koha.  the last one is from jessica01 at securedtexts.com
> with a
> link to superiorjob.org/jessica
> Because they're using the subject line of my Koha-list posts, they're
> sneaking in under the usual spam filters.  My IT guru suspects
> someone has
> recently signed on to the list for nefarious purposes.
>
> Now I'm going to see if they send me another one with this subject
> line. .

They aren't signed up to the list, at least not with that address, and
the mail is not going through the list.
What they appear to be doing is either signed up with another address,
and replying to all mail, but not through the list.

Or someone who is signed up to the list has had their computer
compromised, and it is doing spam replies to any mail they receive.

Either way, not a lot we can do about it sorry :(

Chris