[Koha] Possible APP development

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Apr 22 05:09:06 NZST 2014

I've worked at a few educational libraries that run term-length loans  -
the reader can keep it til the end of the term unless someone else requests
it. Also, my current library defaults to a 90 day loan on the same
principle, precisely because our members are rather far flung.  I wouldn't
go longer than that, people tend to misplace books they have on long term
loan, and then think they've returned them.  It might be useful to send out
a monthly reminder - "you have the following items on loan, and here are
their due dates. . . "

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM, Miller, Tim <Tim-Miller at redwoods.edu>wrote:

> That loan period is a really good idea, Viktor- it's like Bookmobile loans
> but with carry-out!
> If we could figure out a way to automatically set up this kind of
> alternative loan period based on the patron's address (e.g. longer loans
> for people living 20+ miles away), that'd be brilliant. Our staff already
> often make this type of exception to folks who live prohibitively far away,
> so it'd be better to have it as an actual policy and coded into Koha.
> But I'm not sure I am comfortable with 'as long as you like'... maybe
> two/three x's the normal loan period or equal to the max renewal period. In
> my experience, no due date = lost under the sofa/pile of dirty laundry. ;o)
>
> Tim Miller
> Library Technician
> College of the Redwoods Library
> 7351 Tompkins Hill Rd.
> Eureka, CA 95501-9300
> (707) 476-4256

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)