[Koha] What is a "reservoir"

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Apr 22 04:59:51 NZST 2014

However, as a librarian, cache makes more sense to me than reservoir  But
then, English is not the most precise language!
Come to think of it, don't both words come from French? ;-)
Whatever it is called, I agree that more information on purging or cleaning
it out, plus guidance on when and when not to do it, etc. would be welcome.

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Chrispin Simasiku Sitali <
libsitali at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a practicing librarian 'reservoir' is a term that I am so used to, and I
> am very sure most librarians are
>

> On 17 April 2014 11:51, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
>
> > Stephen Hedges wrote:
> > > I remember ~years~ ago in the early days of Koha, we had a discussion
> > about
> > > what to call this pool of records. I think "reservoir" may have been my
> > > suggestion, but I've never been happy with that term. There must be a
> > > better, more descriptive term.
> >
> > The only term which comes to my mind now as possibly better is "cache"
> > but would that be understood by more librarians?  I wonder if it's
> > become more mainstream with the rise of geocaching and so on.
> >
> > I don't see it in the original discussion that ended with
> > http://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2004/008182.html (you'll need to
> > use the thread index because some people were using metadata-losing
> > email clients back then).  At least "reservoir" still seems like an
> > improvement on "breeding farm" :-)
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op
> > http://koha-community.org supporter, web and library systems developer.
> > In My Opinion Only: see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
> > Available for hire (including development) at http://www.software.coop/

> Charles Lwanga College of Education,
> P. O. Box 660193,
> Monze,
> ZAMBIA.
>
> Mobile: +26 0979 869471
>             +26 0966 869471
> SKYPE: Libsitali

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)