[Koha] Possible APP development

Miller, Tim Tim-Miller at Redwoods.edu
Thu Apr 10 11:15:49 NZST 2014

Hi Sue,

I like your ideas and think you have pin-pointed some good functionality
and features that are useful and desirable to the typical library user.
However, I'd encourage you to design a great mobile OPAC rather than a
native app. Koha's mobile layout has already done a lot of the work for
you (and my library isn't on 3.14 yet, but it sounds like the Bootstrap
OPAC theme is even better). Requiring folks to download a native app
often seems like a novel approach, but in many respects it is
unnecessary and can be a stumbling block for users. A native app takes
up space on the device, requires learning a new interface (and learning
how to download an app- which isn't an easy task for every user), and
app updates require user authorization.

A web-based app (mobile-optimized OPAC) can offer the same functionality
and provide access to the catalog without requiring new downloads or
learning a new interface (when constructed well). In fact, a good web
site's mobile and desktop layouts will be similar enough so that the
user has very little to learn. You can figure out how to store the
user's password (HTML5 localStorage?)- or even offer a video/web
tutorial to teach your users about how to store passwords in browsers.
This would teach users a skill that will be useful in many applications
(and teach to online security, to boot). Any features already in the
OPAC are available to the mobile user, so your work is almost done. Web
apps can also be used across devices and operating systems- a good
website already works on any device. Even the absolute best native apps
require different programs for each OS and often for different
devices/OS versions (e.g. a need for separate iPhone and iPad apps). The
workload to develop a set of native apps (to avoid ignoring a segment of
your user base) is far bigger than for developing a great web app.

The most time-consuming aspect of creating a web app is in making the
interface user-friendly. Since this is the most important part of
developing an app (no one wants to use an unusable app!), that is a
great place to put your efforts and resources- and you'll end up with a
great product. Almost all of your bullet points are already available in
the OPAC and those that aren't should be in the desktop website as well,
anyway. All of those should be developments in Koha.

One aspect that a native app can offer which a web-based app cannot is
offline work. However, that would be incredibly messy with users trying
to renew items and cancel holds. What if the app didn't update the ILS
in time to avoid fines? Is that the fault of the library or patron? In
many ways, creating an app that allows time-sensitive functions while
offline is not optimal from a customer service point of view.

This is, of course, all my humble opinion, but there are many great
arguments about choosing which way to go-
http://mashable.com/2012/09/12/web-vs-native-apps/
http://www.wired.com/2012/11/native-apps-vs-mobile-web/
http://uxmag.com/articles/native-or-web-based-selecting-the-right-approa
ch-for-your-mobile-app

And I'd be very interested in helping with developing a mobile web app
that meets your goals! I've already worked with optimizing our library's
mobile OPAC (http://sometimesmotion.wordpress.com) and am chomping at
the bit to work on the Bootstrap theme :)

Tim Miller
Library Technician
College of the Redwoods Library
7351 Tompkins Hill Rd.