[Koha] Open source replacement for 3M self check station

Chad Roseburg croseburg at ncrl.org
Thu Sep 26 06:59:09 NZST 2013

I use remastersys, much like the Live Koha DVD to deploy and image
selfchecks. I could make this available as a downloadable iso if anyone was
interested trying it out. It would require some site specific changes of
course. I have quite a bit of documentation for it, but it is missing a
beginner's setup guide for making the site specific changes currently.

It is designed for touchscreens and receipt printing out of the box using
Epson T88IV or T88V printers. A Star TSP would work with some post-install
drivers.

We have 2 in our branches that do over 1300 and 2300 transactions each
month. I have not updated them for Wheezy yet.

Chad

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM, glaws <glawson at rhcl.org> wrote:

> We do also try to remember that not everybody can do a configure, make,
> make install, to install software. Some small libraries without tech
> support staff simply would be unable to use some software if it weren't
> on a CD or easily downloadable. For these sites I think it makes good
> sense to just master a Linux .iso that can be installed and "just work".
> If library staff have to install Linux anyway, then a pre-configured
> "Library Kiosk" or "Self-checkout" distro is probably simpler than
> creating packages, again, for those users who need to minimize their
> exposure to synaptic or apt-get.
>
> Greg
>

> On 09/25/2013 10:45 AM, glaws wrote:
> > I'm not aware there currently exists an open source self-checkout
> > system, however we've long talked about it here at our library. I work
> > with a developer, Aaron Ogle, that is currently building a PAC system,
> > and when he is finished with that if we have the funds available I would
> > like to consider funding a self-checkout development. Having already
> > discussed it, we think it wouldn't be terribly difficult. Aaron already
> > has a generalized framework for similar systems (a children's
> > playstation and a Koha kiosk) that could be easily adapted to a checkout.
> >
> > I should note probably that all the development we support is for open
> > operating systems, and all the funding we've done so far generally uses
> > Linux Mint at the client end. The server side, where utilized, is more
> > generalized, but we typically use Ubuntu and OpenSuse.
> >
> > Unfortunately it seems that you need a system now, and anything we do
> > won't be worked on until at least mid- late-2014. This is, however, a
> > good discussion topic and worth continuing.
> >
> > Greg
> >

> --
> Greg Lawson
> Network Administrator