[Koha] A Koha area on Stack Exchange?

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue Sep 24 02:48:51 NZST 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 3:22 AM, Magnus Enger <magnus at enger.priv.no> wrote:

> On 23 September 2013 11:43, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > Could we support a fellow FOSS project like Shapado instead of working
> > for free recruiting people for Stack Exchange, please?
>
> Sure! Just set it up and invite people. We'll see soon enough if any
> of these are able to attract critical mass.

And that's really the key question, IMO -- whether there is a critical mass
of interest.  The fate of the libraries StackExchange may be instructive.
 On the one hand, the potential pool of participants in a Koha SE-like is
presumably smaller than the folks generally interested in libraries.  On
the other hand, the SE model may be a better fit for Koha, since the
project is a software project, after all, and lends itself better to
building up a base of "best practice" answers.

Either way, we can't know until we try.  Even if we end up not using
StackExchange itself and use a self-hosted SE-like instead, I think there
is a lot of value in going through the StackExchange proposal process to
verify that there is sufficient interest.

I'm doing my part to make this experiment useful, and I encourage others to
do so as well, even if you have reservations about the particular platform.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton