[Koha] Foolproof backup suggestions

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Tue Sep 17 09:53:00 NZST 2013

On 17 September 2013 09:39, clint.deckard <clint.deckard at frontiers.co.nz> wrote:
> I am donating a server with Koha 3.12 on Debian 7 via packages for a school
> in Vanuatu and would like suggestions for a simple backup strategy.
> The 'server' will not actually be network connected, so it will be used as a
> standalone workstation (at least to begin with). There will be no technical
> support available.
> My first thought was to use koha-run-backups and change the location to the
> desktop of the user that will access Koha. With the thought they could drag
> and drop the backup folder to a usb drive when needed. But it appears the
> --location: argument does not work with koha-run-backups.
>
> Since I am a novice scripter I am reluctant to go this path for fear of
> making a mess that I can't fix from thousands of KMs away.

Use ln -s to logically link that directory to the users home dir

eg
sudo ln -s /var/spool/koha/<sitename> /home/<username>/backups

Or something very similar to that, and then train them to copy the
files to a usb drive on a regular basis.

It's not exactly foolproof, because it relies on them remembering to do it.

Chris