[Koha] Advice for manipulating the patron database with code

magmatic magmatic at timkoop.com
Thu Oct 31 15:17:27 NZDT 2013

We have a separate database of users that we want to sync (one way) with
Koha.  Since I have experience working with databases, I plan to add a
column to the Koha MySQL patron table that I will use as a reference to the
record in the other database.  Then everyday I'm going to run a cron job
that makes sure the Koha database of patrons all have the correct email
address, name, address, etc, based on our other database.

I'm pretty sure this will work.  The reason I'm saying all this is just so
that if anyone out there has any advice for me before I begin, I would take
it.  Perhaps there are pitfalls to guard against, or perhaps there is some
feature of Koha I don't know about since I'm not all that familiar with it
yet.

Thank you.

p.s. this other database we have lives on a different server that we only
have limited api access into, so I don't think it will work to use it as
some sort of active directory server.

--
Tim