[Koha] Open source replacement for 3M self check station

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Tue Oct 15 08:29:44 NZDT 2013

I would expand on Galen's second item when it comes to RFID.  RFID pads
also have to handle the security settings on the item.  In other words,
communcation is two ways.  Unlike a barcode that just conveys data, an RFID
pad has to make changes to the RFID tag to indicate that the item should be
allowed to exit the library without alarming the RFID-enabled security
gates (and without setting off the security gates at Target).

How security is handled and what RFID data models and encoding methods are
used in libraries is defined by ISO 28560-2 (for the US, UK, and
Australia).  It is in a library's interest to have Koha develop around
existing standards as much as possible so that their non-ILS equipment
continues to be interoperable even if they left Koha or if/when they switch
from one third party vendor to another (e.g. for RFID-enabled equipment).

I think it would be great for the Koha community to develop an RFID
interface for Koha.  And if anyone was interested in that, I would urge you
to look into the work done by BIC (in the UK) with the Library
Communication Framework (LCF).  The LCF establishes a message set and data
elements needed in a library RFID environment (and a procedure for
developing more as new needs are defined). Very importantly, they are
building upon existing protocols (e.g. SIP) so that makers of RFID
equipment and ILS vendors don't all have to create custom interfaces
everytime they want to do something.

I hope the Koha community will build on these standards so that the
libraries using Koha continue to keep all their options open for using
products from a range of vendors and not getting locked into one
vendor's/developer's solution.

Lori Bowen Ayre //
Library Technology Consultant / The Galecia Group
(707) 763-6869 // Lori.Ayre at galecia.com
Availability:  http://doodle.com/loriayre

<Lori.Ayre at galecia.com>Specializing in software solutions, RFID, filtering,
workflow optimization, and materials handling