[Koha] RDA questions WAS: Re: Flippin' Yanks

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Tue Oct 8 11:00:33 NZDT 2013

At 05:41 PM 10/7/2013 +0100, Elaine Bradtke wrote:
[snip]
>We're not implementing it because we can't afford a subscription to
>the documentation to even see if it will work for us.

Agreed -- it's not in my budget either. $355 to find out what? A committee
changes its mind, another $355 ...

My "national library" states: "RDA has many of the strengths of AACR2 but
its new features will make it more useful for description in the digital
environment."

Our charitable purpose is to maintain a *paper* copy library [1], and while
Captain Kirk's "to go where no man has gone before" is admirable (albeit
sexist, Captain Janeway notwithstanding), and that MARC might be considered
a fifty year old patchwork quilt, we will only contemplate new fields that
are compatible with what we have.

Best -- Paul

[1] my definition of a library, based on cuneiform tablets being assembled
in groups ("libraries") nearly 5,000 years ago, compared with Kindle et al.