[Koha] Open source replacement for 3M self check station

Chad Roseburg croseburg at ncrl.org
Wed Oct 2 14:48:45 NZDT 2013

Magnus ~

As to "mixing up two different things a bit" ...yes and no:

The original poster wanted an open source software solution that worked
with the 3M equipment [ #1 in your list ] to reanimate a glitchy 3M station
and protect the not insubstantial $$ investment [ system restore would've
helped here perhaps, or uninstalling the guilty Windows updates? Don't
know.  ]. So the problem is keeping the [ now glitchy ] 3M
hardware/equipment investment up and going. He says:

As we 're going to upgrade our Koha installation to 3.12, we want to use
> an open source system to replace the software of the self check.
> Does anyone has some experience for an easy-to-install free software
> with that hardware ?

In theory, you could turn the 3M station/equipment into a browser based
kiosk using the Koha self-check module [ #2 in your list ] ...it's just a
computer with Windows, touchscreen and scanner in some special furniture
anyway. We *did* try re-purposing our old 3M equipment using FOSS, mostly
for kicks ~ and failed. Mainly due to driver issues between things like the
3M touchscreen and the OS. Could be avoided *possibly* if you stuck with
the existing OS on the equipment. You'd still have issues with software
needing to talk to the security strip "desensitizer".  It may be possible,
for instance, to install FOSS kiosk software or browser plugins and
continue to use the 3M kiosks, as they just run Windows XP behind the
scenes ...if you didn't care about the security strips, that is. We opted
to just replace them with generic off-the-shelf components instead as our
3M equipment was a bit long in the tooth and ready for retirement anyway.

An ideal solution, for this poster, would retain *all* functionality of the
original 3M kiosk [ RFID, security strips ], use the existing equipment
...and run on FOSS partially or entirely. Easy installation a plus. I can
only share our experiences and wish him luck.

Chad