[Koha] koha - consortia

Kivilahti Olli-Antti olli-antti.kivilahti at jns.fi
Tue Nov 5 03:06:58 NZDT 2013

Hello Mr. Maileseni and Mr. Sasse.

A very interesting question.
Firstly you should tell us what kind of features you need for a consortium?

I know you can run a succesful consortium with zero consortial features
and probably this will be the best way for your staff and your patrons,
since it is really simple to have unified settings. It is also the most
clear solution to your users if you allow transportation of items
between libraries.

If you are not transferring material between libraries and want to limit
the availability of your items to a specific library, you can do that
with UseIndependentBranches-feature. If you want libraries A, B, and C
to form a sub-consortium and libraries D, E and F to form their own; and
limit permissions and holds and acquisitions between consortias, while
sharing the same user and bibliographic database, Koha wil limit your
barrier building, but you should aim to resolve those issues politically
by making compromises.

Tho if you have only 6 libraries I recommend you unify practices, let
everyone edit each others item and patron records and work more closely
together. It is proven that libraries deliver more success by working
together than building or maintaining artificial walls. Especially since
everyone is cutting our budgets.

Olli-Antti Kivilahti
Project Manager
Open Library 2014