[Koha] Live DVD

King, Fred Fred.King at Medstar.net
Wed May 29 23:51:26 NZST 2013

Let me echo what Lars said. Let's say I used the Live DVD to install our system (which I did). Provided that you:
   Change the passwords from the default to something more cryptic
   Update Xubuntu as needed (and the system is not shy about letting me know when new updates are available)
   Update Koha as needed (I upgraded my Live DVD system from 3.10 to 3.10.5, then to 3.12)
then is there any real difference between building an Xubuntu system and installing Koha from packages? As far as I can tell, it's just easier.

I know that many folks are concerned that a system built with Live DVD won't get upgraded, but isn't that also an issue with any other system? It's also running Ubuntu rather than Debian, but the beauty of Koha is that it runs on a variety of Linux systems. I happen to like Ubuntu--I chose it for my laptop when I got sick of trying to work with Windows 8.

I had something under two months to build a demo to convince the VP in Charge of Funding These Things, order a server, and build a production system. With Live DVD, I can concentrate on the data, not the system.

Fred King
fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6221

-----Original Message-----
From: koha-bounces at lists.katipo.co.nz [mailto:koha-bounces at lists.katipo.co.nz] On Behalf Of Lars J. Helbo
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:32 AM
To: koha at lists.katipo.co.nz
Subject: Re: [Koha] Live DVD

Den 28-05-2013 09:39, Mason James skrev:
> hi Folks
>
> i think this topic still needs a little more discussion, so i added it to the agenda of the next Koha meeting
>
>   http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/General_IRC_meeting,_5_June_2013

I was the one, who trickered this discussion - sorry ;-)

Anyway, I have a few points, which somebody might want to consider.

First of all, I think it would be useful to make a distinction between
live DVD and installation DVD. Here we are talking about live DVD (which
to me means running the program from the DVD for testing purposes only).
But to me this DVD is much more like an installation- or distribution
DVD, making the installation proces easier and thus making Koha more
easily available to a broader public.

The second question is, if it is legitimate to install Koha from a DVD
instead og doing a manual installation? For me the only thing that
matters is the result! I give lectures in Windows, Excel etc. for
absolute beginners and I allways tell my pupils that most things on a
computer may be done in several ways. You may copy a string with the
menu Edit/Copy, with copy from the contextmenu or by pressing Control-C.
But I also tell them that one way of doing things is not better or more
correct than the other. I say: "Do things the way you like it, the only
thing that matters is that you achieve the result that you wanted to."

The same way you may change the MySQL password with a command entered in
a terminal, with MySQL Workbench or with phpMyAdmin. But how you do it
is up to you. I have a computer here, on which I installed Koha 3.10
from the Live DVD, I installed the Danish language files. Now I have
updated it to 3.12, using packages. Everything works like a charm. As
far as I can see, the result is exactly as it would have been, if I had
made a manual installation in the beginning. So what is the problem? At
least the argument being used against the Live DVD with "lack of update
path" is definately wrong.

Yes, I do have a graphical desktop on this computer. Yes I know, you may
run a server without a graphical desktop. But I like to have a graphical
desktop, so why shouldn't I? Basically I think this has to do with
"freedom of choice", which should be held high in an open source community?

Another argument being used is about the possibility of giving support.
I dont really understand this. If somebody has installed his Koha from a
DVD, then I know that he has a "well defined starting point". That way
it sould be easier to guess, where he made the mistakes and tell him,
what he still has to do?

Just my thoughts :-)
--
Venlig hilsen
Lars J. Helbo
lars at helbo.org
www.helbo.org
CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this communication,
including its attachments, may contain confidential information and
is intended only for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to whom it is
addressed. The information contained in this communication may also
be protected by legal privilege, federal law or other applicable
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
you are hereby notified that any distribution, dissemination or
duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please immediately
delete and destroy all copies of this message and please
immediately notify us of the error by separate communication. Thank
you.