[Koha] Item types vs CCODE (Collection codes)

Iming Chan imingchan at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 28 00:02:53 NZST 2013

Dear all,

Just started to migrate from our existing ILMS to Koha and working through
the "Basic Parameters", I am a little curious between Item Types and CCODE
(Collection Codes).  It seems to me that Item Types really is Collections,
as it allows you to set lending permission, etc.  Whereas CCODE, you cannot
set lending permission.

Our lending policy is based on individual collection, not item types.  For
example, books are found in fiction, non-fiction, reference, etc., and most
can be borrowed, except those in the reference collection.

Finally, Call Numbers in our old ILMS consists of: Prefix, Main Number,
Suffix.  Prefix is setup in the Collection parameter.  For example, when
selected Reference Collection, "REF" is automatically inserted as Prefix.
Whereas Prefix is ignored when Non-fiction Collection is selected (we have
left prefix as blank).  This avoids the need to manually enter prefix when
creating new items.

-----

Iming Chan
Translib Information Service