[Koha] Koha 3.10 hosting in a shared webhosting environment

Raj Pawan gumdal at india.com
Sun Mar 24 19:35:25 NZDT 2013

Hi all,

I am trying to install setup Koha for free public library in a Shared
hosting environment. My hosting environment is on Linux OS and it runs Perl
version 5.8.8. I have gone through the installation document and I realize
that I first have to create the make file and then install it with super
user privileges.

I have contacted my web hosting providers to grant me the access to terminal
so that I can run the make file and install Koha. The webhosting providers
denied stating that the shell access is not granted in shared hosting
environment, I would have to opt for a VPS hosting which is almost 12 to 15
times more than what I pay now (depending on the plan we choose).

So, is there a way to install it directly without the shell access and the
setup mentioned in the ReadMe documentation?

I have tried to directly run the web-installer which is in the location
*http://my_web_domain/koha/installer/install.pl* but that throws 500
internal server errors. The corresponding error logs look something like
these:

*[Sun Mar 24 11:56:38 2013] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] script not found or
unable to stat: /home/my_shared_web/public_html/cgi-bin/koha
[Sun Mar 24 11:56:38 2013] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] File does not exist:
/home/my_shared_web/public_html/favicon.ico
[Sun Mar 24 11:56:38 2013] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] script not found or
unable to stat: /home/my_shared_web/public_html/cgi-bin/koha
*

Is there a way we could still install Koha successfully without going
through the Shell method etc.?

We really like Koha and would like to somehow install it successfully for
the free library which we are doing. Help in this regarding highly
appreciated.

Thank you.