[Koha] Koha 3.2, problem with Holds

Muhammad Abdullah mamfab at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 05:23:28 NZDT 2013

Greetings Sir/Madam,

We're using Koha 3.2 and are having a problem with Holds. Patrons cannot
place a hold on checked out item, these errors come up instead:

Cannot Place Hold
Too Many Holds: Patron's name has too many holds.
No copies are available to be placed on hold

We've already created matching specific Circulation Rules for our library,
but it seems that Koha overlook them. The errors completely disappear when
we created Circulation Rules for the "Default" library, choosing Patron
Category and Item Type as "Default". If we choose anything other than
"Default" for both Category and Type, it says "Too Many Holds: Patron's
name has too many holds." when patron tried to place a hold, but they can
still peform said task successfully.

Does anyone know why Koha doesn't use the Circulation Rules we've created
for our library, but instead use the rules in "Default" and not very well
at that? Is this a bug or implementation shortcoming?