[Koha] Migration from LibraryWorld to Koha

Joy Nelson joy.nelson1 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 7 09:49:39 NZDT 2013

Eric-
I have worked on some migrations of Library World data to Koha.  If you are comfortable working with MARC records and editing them you will be able to import them into Koha using the staff interface.  You will need to know how Koha structures its holdings in the 952 and how you can convert the Library World holding tag/subfield data into the 952 subfields.  Depending on the quality of your data the "map" from LW to Koha can be simple or complex.  The migration time is also a time to consider data cleanups.  (example: "we've always used x itemtype, but we would now like to use y itemtype for items with xwy callnumber".)

Beyond that, it's a matter of what else you wish to migrate: patrons, circulation, fines, reserves, historical data.  Most (except patrons) of that data will need to be imported directly into the database in some fashion (i.e. access to the server and familiarity with SQL and/or Perl).

I'll let others speak to what role consultants play as I'm a tad biased in that area!

Joy Nelson
Director of Migrations
ByWater Solutions