[Koha] Purchase suggestions spammed

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue Jul 30 04:40:49 NZST 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Owen Leonard <oleonard at myacpl.org> wrote:

> > In the past 24 hours we've received over 2000 'purchase suggestions'
> which
> > appear to be links to pornography
>
> Do you allow anonymous suggestions? (AnonSuggestions system preference)

In particular, if AnonSuggestions is on but the main "suggestion" system
preference is off, Koha will still let one place suggestions if one knows
(as the spammer's bot does) what the URL of the OPAC suggestions form is.
 (That's a bug, by the way).

Consequently, to stop suggestions outright, you should off both system
preferences.  However, it may be sufficient to stop the spam by leaving
'suggestion' on while turning off AnonSuggestions.  That way, patrons will
continue to be able to make suggestions, but they'll have to log into your
account first.

Regards,

Galen
--