[Koha] Type vs. Item Type

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Fri Jul 26 13:28:53 NZST 2013

Hi Steve:

I assume that you're using the XSLT system preferences for search results?

The "Type" field is determined by analysing the MARC record's "Leader" tag
(i.e. it comes directly from the MARCXML - not a DB field).

A type of "Book" comes up if position 6 of your Leader is "a" (Language
material) or "t" (Manuscript language material), and if position 7 of your
Leader is "c" (Collection), "d" (Subunit), or "m" (Monograph).

If "Book" is coming up for records with item types of "DVD" and "Tape", it's
because those records have been catalogued as books.

This link might elucidate (or confuse) things more:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/formatintegration.html

In order to avoid a situation where you might have misleading information in
your search results...you have several options:

1) Turn off the "DisplayOPACiconsXSLT" system preference. This will remove
the "Type", "Format", etc. information from the OPAC search results
(although it will still display in the intranet, if you've enabled XSLT
there).
2) Fix the Leader in your catalogue records so that they are properly coded
3) Turn off XSLT for search results

Hope that helps!

David Cook
Systems Librarian