[Koha] [Koha-devel] Call for news for the January newsletter

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Mon Jan 21 11:16:27 NZDT 2013

At 12:34 PM 1/11/2013 -0800, Daniel Grobani wrote:
>Dear Koha kommunitarians,
>
>I'm harvesting news for this month's newsletter. Please send me by the
>20th anything you think your fellow community members might like to know about.

Based on our news release, 11 January 2013
<http://navalmarinearchive.com/news/opac_jan2013.html>:

Our Library "Online Public Access Catalogue" or OPAC

We are pleased to announce that our library catalogue is now online at
<http://opac.navalmarinearchive.com>. It currently contains over 20,000
books - all that remains to be done is to catalogue the remaining 15,000
books, 250,000 magazines and journals, 2,000 charts, several hundred
paintings and engravings, and all the other documents, files and
manuscripts at "The Victory."

Importantly, we are now formally accepted as an international library
(CaOPIACS) and have access to major libraries for automatic retrieval
[Z39.50] of their bibliographic records. Reciprocal use of our records by
other libraries is planned in the near future.

This online library project has been achieved by an investment of about
1,400 hours of volunteer time into designing and implementing the system
(including limited import of some of our spreadsheets), and continues with
between 20 and 40 volunteer hours per week in cataloguing. In-house testing
continues to make progress on the very complex matters surrounding
efficient cataloguing of our periodicals; we tentatively plan on putting
these fully on-line by mid-2013, but in the meanwhile all work stations in
the library have access to this work-in-progress.

Technically, it involves a new 64-bit web server on our premises with
enhanced internet connectivity, running a Linux operating system. This has
allowed us to develop a customized version of the Koha open-source library
system.

Naval Marine Archive : The Canadian Collection
"The Victory", 205, Main Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0, Canada
Telephone: 1 613 476 1177
http://navalmarinearchive.com and http://ultramarine.ca
Canadian Charitable Organization 88721 9921 RR0001

---
Maritime heritage and history, preservation and conservation,
research and education through the written word and the arts.
<http://NavalMarineArchive.com> and <http://UltraMarine.ca>