[Koha] A useful script to compress patron images to upload

Vimal Kumar V. vimal0212 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 06:04:21 NZST 2013

Dear Friends,
Here is a python script, which is very helpful to compress bulk patron
images without any hassle.
Details of bulk patron image option is available in Koha documentation.
http://manual.koha-community.org/3.12/en/tools.html#uploadpatronimages

In academic libraries, every year hundreds of photos arrive from office to
library to upload in Koha.
Using this script, you can compress images in batch mode and create id link
for entire images.

This script created by Mr. A.J. Tomson, Librarian, Devagiri College,
Kozhikode.
He had implemented Koha in 2000 itself. He is an active resource person of
Koha in Kerala state.
Recently he completed 100 Koha training programmes as resource person.

How to use the script?

Arrange your photos in a folder. Ensure that photo name must be card number
of patrons.

Goto the following link and click on Download button.
http://kohageek.pbworks.com/w/file/68630026/idlink.py

Put idlink.py script in photo folder.

Open a terminal and enter inside photo folder and apply following commands,

chmod -R 777 idlink.py

./idlink.py

After the process, you can see zip file, where all your photos compressed.

Goto Koha > Tools > Upload Patron Images

Upload the zip file.

I once again express my thanks to Mr. A.J. Tomson on behalf of  Koha
community.

--
Vimal Kumar V.
Technical Assistant