[Koha] Effects of stopping the chron job

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Fri Aug 23 09:57:19 NZST 2013

Jerry,

At this time we are concerned with the fine updates that occur when the
> chron job runs every night. We see   customer service issues arising
> where
> a patron may exceed the fine threshold of $10 with only a few items out,
> but
> need to renew these items and would like to do it online.

I've never heard of any library having problems with this. Why don't you
set OPACFineNoRenewals to higher than $10?

> What we would like to know is if there are any library systems out there
> that assess fines  and have turned off the chron job?  What were the
> impacts
> of doing so? If you did do it and then changed back we would like to know
> that information as well. If you are a single library and have done this
> please also respond.

If you mean that you would like to only calculate fines on return, that
seems problematic to me: it means anyone with internet access can renew
their books online and avoid fines, while anyone who is on the wrong side
of the digital divide is presumably going to get charged when they walk
into the library with their overdue book.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/