[Koha] Don't pass out bad instructions (was Re: How frequently to run zebra rebuild and what switches)

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 23 00:58:03 NZST 2013

Greetings,

There are tarball instructions on the Wiki for Ubuntu already.

However, in an effort to get people to not go backwards, I am not providing
the link.
http://wiki.koha-community.org/ is where the Koha wiki is.

As Chris has pointed out, upgrading is so much easier with packages. This
was the biggest selling point for me, because nothing says easy like:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install koha-common
-- This will upgrade koha-common, and other related dependencies. This won't
work for the dependencies if you've CPAN'd several of the libraries, but
that's another lesson which goes to emphasize that installing from source,
when you can install from packages, means installing from source
indefinitely, which is time consuming!

As Magnus has pointed out, littering the internet with stale instructions is
bad in general, because it can cause people to get the wrong impression of
Koha,when the real problem is poor, unreviewed documentation.

Magnus wrote:
> PS: The correct name is "Koha", not "KOHA". ;-)

Yes. Koha is a word, not an acronym. This is why KOHA is wrong, unless you
are attempting to shout the awesomeness of it. ;)

GPML,
Mark Tompsett