[Koha] How frequently to run zebra rebuild and what switches

Phillip Ponchot pponchot at live.com
Wed Aug 21 19:31:36 NZST 2013

The only time I think it is necessary to rebuild the zebra indexes is when there's corruption.  I have an older version of Koha on a Ubuntu Linux platform and I see that there are cron jobs which incrementally does the updating to the index on recent items that have been added.  An example of a corrupted index table is when you run a search and an item you know is in the catalog doesn't show up (Not to be confused with just a poorly constructed search).

Depending on the version of zebra (and maybe Koha), there are different switches.  The switches that I've seen and used are the -r -b -a .

The best way so see the switch on a Linux machine is to run a terminal window and actually go to the directory migration-tools and find find the rebuild_zebra.pl.  At this point if you run the command "./rebuild_zebra.pl --help", all the available switches will be run.  In my older version of Koha, this can be found here: /usr/local/koha/bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl, but I've been told that my installation might not be standard.  If you can find Koha, then you can use the path above to track down the rebuild program.

By using crontab (Linux again) you can see the scheduled jobs and see if any are setup for Koha (and the rebuild).  On Ubuntu in a terminal window you have to run sudo crontab -e to see the root crontab.

I hope I have been helpful in this area as I've I may be the one asking for help next time - smile.

If you need to see a "sample" of the crontab zebra rebuild job, I can login to the server and copy the job so you will have some idea of what you are searching for.

Hang in there,

Phillip