[Koha] Anyone have an annual circulation of over 10 million transactions

Greg Barniskis gregb at scls.lib.wi.us
Sat Aug 10 01:43:59 NZST 2013

On 8/8/2013 3:08 PM, Manos PETRIDIS wrote:
> Although 10 million transactions are an absurdly large circulation, I wonder
> if by "transactions" you mean db transactions, including that is workload
> incurred by OPAC users, remote searches, administrative work etc.?

To be clear, the figure I cited for SCLS is for circulation only, with
12 million items being borrowed by patrons. There are of course many
more db transactions taking place, with a proportionally high number of
searches and (one hopes) all of those items also being returned. Plus
cataloging, records maintenance, reports, etc.

Math clarification: some of the earlier discussion cited circs per
second, but that's going one step too far. Also, the 8 hours assumption
isn't quite right. Many of our larger sites are open 10-12 hours per
day. Also, because of the public web interface and the addition of a
TALKINGtech i-tiva telephony interface, patron self-service renewals can
take place 24/7. So, rounded off a bit...

12 million issues and renewals in 2012
/ 365 days
/ 24 hours
/ 60 minutes
average 23 circs per minute

Of course the really interesting question is about peak load, not
average. Based on reports of circulation by time of day, our busiest
hour is Monday afternoon, 16:00-17:00. In that time slot our peak load
averages to 77 cpm, or 1.28 per second.

Large? Yes. Absurd? Not yet... but we're still growing. =)

South Central Library System (SCLS)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 242-4716