[Koha] koha as a ready-made VM appliance?

Manos PETRIDIS egpetridis at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 9 08:27:36 NZST 2013

I wonder if there would be interest out there for a  ready-made koha VM
appliance, available for customers of the main computing clouds (Amazon,
Microsoft, et al).

It came to me that in order for a library to cater for a circulation of over
10 million transactions, it would have to service a lot of branches, be
equally accessible by all as far as throughput is concerned, and be able to
gracefully handle transient loads. I use koha myself, running as a VM
running on Oracle VM Virtualbox, but this is hardly scalable.

A cloud implementation seems to fit the bill.

n fact it could be a godsend for small libraries that can't invest even in
the smaller koha local set-up. Perhaps someone could even "sell" his/her
expertise in setting-up koha  and supporting libraries under this scheme.
The software may be open and  free, the know-how is not.

So, has anyone tried it so far?

Kind regards,

Manos  PETRIDIS

Athens , Greece