[Koha] Theoretical question

James Weinheimer weinheimer.jim.l at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 01:59:20 NZST 2013

All,
I guess this is the right list for this question. I am doing some
consideration of Koha, and I need a technical opinion. I have read
several papers that have given the following example that they say shows
how important is the FRBR structure: you may want to place holds on an
entire expression.

What this means is that you may want to place a hold on Mark Twain's
"Huck Finn" and you don't care which version you get--you don't care who
published it or when, if there are different editions and so on--you
just want the next one. What currently brings together the "editions"
are two things: the uniform title (MARC21 240 field), or it could be
several fields together: the same 245$a, 100 field (there may be other
fields/subfields as I think about it more, but this is just theoretical)

Could you automate it so that when you place a hold on one item, you
could be asked if you wanted to place a hold on "other versions" and it
would place a hold marking all of the items of all of the different
versions. I realize that this doesn't end it, so that if you have 20
copies of Huck Finn and one person puts a hold for the next copy, we
would want that nobody can check out anything until the one person who
has placed the hold has taken it, but that is not important right now.

I mainly want to know if these people are right who are saying that you
need an FRBR structure to do something like this. It seems to me as if
this could be automated.

Thanks.

*James Weinheimer* weinheimer.jim.l at gmail.com
*First Thus* http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/