[Koha] Some questions - and a suggestion - on treatment of ISBN in koha

Mathieu Saby mathieu.saby at univ-rennes2.fr
Mon Apr 29 00:13:38 NZST 2013

Hello
improving the management of ISBN would be a nice enhancement.
This could improve search, and detection of duplicates.

I have never used Z3950 search, but if it is always translating 13
digits isbn into 10 digits, it is probably not a good. It should search
both forms.
Or search 3 forms in some cases : remember 13 digits isbn are not only
made with 978 prefix, but also 979. So, from a 10 digits isbn you can
made two 13 digits isbn.

For the way you must store isbn in the record :
In France, with UNIMARC and french cataloguing standard, we work like
this :
010 $aISBN10 (WITH the hyphens)
and we add an other 010, ONLY if the two are printed on the book, or if
the book were printed with isbn10 and reprinted some years later with
isbn13.
010 $aISBN13 (WITH the hyphens)

With AACR2 and Marc21, OCLC is also repeating the 020
https://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/0xx/020.html

But rather than populating automaticly the record with alternates
versions of ISBN - that would be against our cataloguing rules - I would
prefer a change in Search.pm, so that when a search is made on isbn
index, Koha would search alternates versions of the isbn.
For an isbn10 : search isbn10 OR 978-isbn10 (with correction of control
element)  OR 979-isbn10 (with correction of control element)
For an isbn13 : search isbn13 OR isbn 10
This could be done for isbn index, but also for any index if the string
searched by a user is an isbn.

M. Saby