[Koha] 505 mtg: formatted contents notes

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Wed Apr 17 05:42:12 NZST 2013

I would suggest that it's simpler to group 505 fields by disc - so the
contents of Vol. 1, disc 1 in the first 505, Vol. 1, disc 2 in the second
505, etc.
For really large multi-volume sets, where the discs have individual titles,
you might consider cataloguing each disc individually.
The level of description varies from one library to another, so you have to
consider what use these fields may be to your patrons.  I once worked in a
public library that routinely urged me to delete or heavily edit the 505
fields of downloaded records for sound recordings.  Whereas in the special
library world, we tend to include as much information as possible. For
example:

Track contents vol. 3: 1. The Holland handkerchief / Packie Manus Byrne --
2. The bonny boy / Fred Jordan --
3. What put the blood / Paddy Tunney -- 4. Worcester City / Joseph Taylor
-- 5. Willie, the bold sailor boy / Liz Jefferies -- 6. The clattering of
the Clydewaters / Stanley Robertson -- 7. Young Edmund in the lowlands low
/ Geordie Hanna -- 8. The prickle holly-bush / Fred Hewett -- 9. Lord
Ronald / John MacDonald -- 10. Newry Town / Jumbo Brightwell -- 11. Cruel
Lincoln / Ben Butcher -- 12. Maria Marten / Freda Palmer -- 13. The cruel
mother / Lizzie Higgins -- 14. Lady Margaret / Paddy Tunney -- 15. The well
below the valley / John Reilly -- 16. The dewie dens of Yarrow / John
MacDonald -- 17. Molly Vaughan / Phoebe Smith -- 18. George Collins / Enos
White -- 19. The two brothers / Belle Stewart -- 20. The lakes of Coalflin
/ Scan Tester -- 21. Willie-O / Nora Cleary.

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Paula Corman <Paula.Corman at mim.org> wrote:

> I am cataloging a collection of several hundred CDs, each of which
> contains at least 12 or more songs with potentially as many different
> performers.  A few days ago, I was cataloging a 2-volume title with 2 discs
> per volume and a total of 78 songs and performers!  How should these be
> entered into a Koha record?  Do I simply duplicate the 505 tag over and
> over again?
>
> Paula Corman
> The Musical Instrument Museum
> Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)