[Koha] basic queries on Koha

Malik Butta mbeenda at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 04:36:09 NZST 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I am part of a team that have been tasked to implement Koha in a Mid-east
university library but we are new to the product. The customer has asked a
list of questions that I have no ready answer for. I am sure some learned
colleagues would be so kind as to respond to the list so that I can educate
the customer and educate ourselves.

Many thanks in anticipation. The queries are as follows:

·         What library modules or solutions does Koha provide or include?

·         Can Koha modules be tailored to meet NITI library requirements?

·         Is Koha compatible with different browsers such as Google Chrome,
Firefox, ie, etc.?

·         Does Koha provide access to resources and set up anywhere, anytime
knowledge transfer with mobile and digital technology integration including
iPhone and Andriod and e-readers?

·         Does Koha provide tracking electronic resources from point of
order through licensing and final access (e.g. magazine and newspaper holdings)?

·         Does Koha provide automated alerts, notices and defaults?

·         Does Koha provide customizable e-mail alerting systems (e.g.
notices to managers when actions are expected or required)

·         Does Koha have SMS and SharePoint functionality?

·         Does Koha address the barriers to resources through one-stop
access (single sign on), unifying searching and access?

·         Can Koha be integrated with NITI finance system and trainee registry?

·         Does Koha have Reading Lists capability that is integrated with
the virtual learning environment (VLE) and e-material?

·         Does Koha support Arabic text with client interface and Arabic
search engine?

·         Does Koha support range of user self-service initiatives –
selfcheck, PC reservation/print management, and general patron authentication?

·         Does Koha have Web-based ad hoc query tool that allows a library
to develop detailed reports against its data?

·         Does Koha provide Offline solution during system outage or system
down?

Pukka Beenda