[Koha] Question about Active Directory integration

Coehoorn, Joel jcoehoorn at york.edu
Thu Apr 11 09:00:34 NZST 2013

We're a small college library in the process of migrating to Koha from an
old Winnebago Spectrum system. The plan is that students should be able to
use their Active Directory credentials when access Koha. I have the
connection working, but there are some things I'm not clear on.

For many students, their first and only account interaction with Koha will
be when they bring an item to the circulation desk. At this point, if the
attendant scans their card and they have never logged in, my understanding
is that Koha will have no idea who they are and will reject the
transaction, because it doesn't create the account until someone tries to
authenticate. Is there any way to have Koha pro-actively pull this
information? I'd rather avoid the extra step of batching users into Koha
each term.

Also, for anyone else using Active Directory, are you storing the Card
Number in Active Directory? If so, what field are you using?

  Joel Coehoorn
Director of Information Technology
York College, Nebraska
402.363.5603
jcoehoorn at york.edu

 *The mission of York College is to transform lives through
Christ-centered education and to equip students for lifelong service to
God, family, and society*