[Koha] Olly olly oxen free: integrators with Koha, stand up and be counted

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Thu Apr 4 05:06:26 NZDT 2013

[This morning I posted the following query to the Koha community blog.
Please distributed widely.]

Does your project, service, or product interact with Koha in some
automated fashion?  If so, we’d like to hear from you.

I’m using the phrase “automated fashion” very broadly.  There are many
ways to receive data from a Koha system, update data in a Koha
database, or make transactions happen.  A few of these ways include:

- RESTful web service calls
- SIP2 to perform patron and circulation requests
- Z39.50, unAPI, and OpenSearch to retrieve catalog data
- LDAP to authenticate patrons
- MARC exports and imports
- Screen-scraping (although if you’re screen-scraping Koha, we may be
able to suggest a better way to do it)
- Direct database access
- And others

Some of the things we’d like to know include:

- The name of your service or product
- What it does for a Koha library
- How it is accessing Koha
- Whether there are specific APIs or entry points that your
application depends on
- If there are things that Koha could be doing to make your life easier

We want to hear from everybody, whether you are a library that has
integrated Koha with other software, a Koha support group,  a vendor
providing products or services to libraries, or a member of a free
software project whose software talks with Koha.  If you work for a
Koha library and know that Koha works with another service, we want to
hear from you too, even if you don’t know how Koha is doing the
talking.

Why do we want to know?  Our reasons include:

- Finding out which entry points we should be particularly careful
about changing as Koha gets enhanced.
- Seeing if there are things we could be doing better to encourage
more people and applications to participate in the Koha ecosystem.
- (Maybe) putting together a list of third-party services that
interact with Koha.

To respond, please comment on the post at
http://koha-community.org/olly-olly-oxen-free-integrators-koha-stand-counted/.

Regards,

Galen
--