[Koha] Language confusion on the Circ & Fine Rules

Steve Campbell stephen.t.campbell at Dartmouth.EDU
Fri Sep 14 04:51:21 NZST 2012

>> Default checkout, hold and return policy for all libraries
>> gets changed to
>> Default checkout, hold and return policy
>> I would move this table to the top of the page and somehow require some
>> value in the "allowed" box.
>
> I'm confused by this one. Is this required? I don't have it filled in
> in my test system and it doesn't block me from circulation or holds.
>
>  -- Owen
>
> --
> Web Developer
> Athens County Public Libraries
> http://www.myacpl.org

Hi, Owen,

I can totally relate to your confusion. In coming up with my suggestions, I made some assumptions about how the whole mechanism works. I could be wrong. The only way to be sure is to read the code, and I'm not up to that.

In general I think systems should set defaults first and subsequently set specific parameters. The "Default checkout, hold and return policy" box is setting defaults for at least some of the parameters. That's why I suggested moving it to the top of the page.

As for requiring a default setting, the last thing a system should allow is a situation where there is no specific setting and no default for a parameter. It looked to me like this would be possible if the "Total current checkouts allowed" value was not filled in in this box. Maybe there's a safety net in the mechanism that I missed.

Steve Campbell
Trustee, Converse Free Library
Lyme, New Hampshire