[Koha] Zebra not updating biblios au tomatically in koha 3.8

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Wed Sep 5 05:18:30 NZST 2012

At 01:06 PM 9/4/2012 -0300, Tomas Cohen Arazi wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Paul <paul.a at aandc.org> wrote:
[snip]
> > KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/koha-conf.xml
> > KOHAPATH=/usr/share/koha
> > PERL5LIB=$KOHAPATH/lib
> > */1 * * * *    koha    $KOHAPATH/bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -a -b
> > -z &> /dev/null
[snip]
> > and the cron rebuild_zebra.pl -a -b -z fails [Can't locate C4/Context.pm in
> > @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2
> > /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5
> > /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at
> > /usr/share/koha/bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl line 6.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> > /usr/share/koha/bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl line 6.]
>
>That's correct. A shell like bash needs those variables defined in its
>scope to have them available. The scope of those variables defined in
>the crontab includes JUST the commands run from the crontab (think of
>it as a shell itself).

I appreciate the theory that /etc/cron.d/koha (as I quoted it above)
should|could|would pick up the variables KOHA_CONF, KOHAPATH and PERL5LIB

In fact I think this worked for Koha 3.6.7 on Ubuntu 12.04 *i386* (from my
notes, no errors; but that install has been trashed) -- but it does NOT
work on either of our two 64 bit servers  -- hence the need to add the
'export' lines to /home/koha.bashrc and make them available *before* the
cron job is called.

I have not had time to find out *why* the 32- and 64-bit builds possibly
differ and satisfy my curiosity. All I've done is come up with a working
solution and share it with this community -- with the caveat that YMMV and
there might well be other [more elegant?] ways around it.

Best - Paul