[Koha] Zebra not updating biblios automatically in koha 3.8

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Tue Sep 4 04:10:39 NZST 2012

At 11:32 PM 9/1/2012 +0100, Ian Bays wrote:
>Hi.
>The 3.8 upgrade offers the dom indexing by default and if you have taken
>that option (as seen in $KOHA_CONF) the xsl used instead of record.abs
>(~/koha-dev/etc/zebradb/marc_defs/marc21/biblios/biblio-zebra-indexdefs.xsl)
>uses a construct (z:id) for the 001 which uses that (if it exists) as the
>zebra unique id.  This means if you have more than one bib record with the
>same 001 (as you get if you duplicate a bib for instance) it will only
>index the last one and it won't complain at all about it.

If this is the case, then there is a problem (bug?) as the 001 is not a
unique field by definition (this from our cataloguers who tell me it's only
unique when taken in conjunction with the 003; they referred me to
<http://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad001.html> which seems to confirm, but
I would appreciate other views on this.)

We certainly have many duplicates -- part of this is intentional (e.g.
facsimile reprints and different titles for intrinsically identical books
in UK and US editions[1]); part is "accidental" occurring after importing
Z39.50 records from different libraries.

>[snip] The better solution is to fix the xsl to probably not use the z:id
>for biblios or maybe get it to use the 999$c, but the zebra config scares me.

If my understanding is correct, the 999$c (biblio.biblionumber) is designed
to be unique and I had _assumed_ that this was expressly for db indexing
regardless of whether it's MySQL or Zebra.

Our sandbox is tied up at the moment, but tomorrow I should be able to get
some time to do a detailed comparison of 3.6 with 3.8.  However if I'm not
correct in my assumption, maybe someone would be kind enough to avoid my
going on a wild goose chase.

Thanks - Paul
[1] -- I understand that this may not be everyone's choice and that other
options may be available, but also that it is perfectly acceptable as long
as we "sign" the 003 as CaOPIACS; other major libraries, so I'm told, do
the same.