[Koha] Koha installation Problem

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 1 18:03:20 NZST 2012

Greetings,

[snipped and edited a bit]
> But when I enter the command "apt-get install koha"

Actually it is "sudo apt-get install koha-common".

[snipped and edited a bit]
> I added the line "deb http://debian.koha-community.org/koha squeeze main"
> in the /etc/apt/sources.list [file].

First, it is a bad idea to touch the default repository file! You likely
messed up your repositories.
The instructions you should follow are found at
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_3.8_on_Debian_Squeeze

Those instructions say it is supposed to be
"/etc/apt/sources.list.d/koha.list" that is affected.
The command you should use to set up for 3.8.x in a fresh Debian (or
Ubuntu -- for those lurking in the background) install is:
$ echo "deb http://debian.koha-community.org/koha squeeze main" | sudo tee
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/koha.list

Okay, but did you do the following as well?
$ wget -O- http://debian.koha-community.org/koha/gpg.asc | sudo apt-key
add -

--- BEGIN EXAMPLE GIVEN ---
ERROR
root at koha:/home/koha# apt-get install koha
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

koha : Depends: koha-common but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: dbconfig-common but it is not installable
        Depends: mysql-server but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
--- END EXAMPLE GIVEN ---

Those dependencies are in the default repositories. You likely messed yours
up or the server from which you would normally pull the updates is not
reachable.

To check which is true attempt the following command:
$ sudo apt-get update
If it has a whole bunch of error messages, then it is unreachable. If the
list is very short (only the debian.koha-community.org repository), then you
messed up your repositories. If it is some other case, you will need to post
the output for someone else to be able to help you.

My gut feeling is you messed yours up. Given that I don't have Debian, I can
not provide you with a clean copy. Though, you may wish to re-install Debian
OR visit http://debgen.simplylinux.ch/ *IF* you did mess it up.
Reinstallation is my preference and recommendation, if there are no other
systems affected.

Hope this helps somehow. #include <stddisclaimer.h>

GPML,
Mark Tompsett