[Koha] E-book Check Out

BWS Johnson abesottedphoenix at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 1 05:08:58 NZST 2012

Salvete!

> Linking to them isn't the problem.  You can use the 856 field for the URL
> (I think that's right) so they  can link directly to it from the catalog.
> The trick is controlling the circs.  Usually this is done by the vendor
> that sold you the ebook.  Am I right, folks?

    If the teacher's book is in the public domain, then there really isn't any reason to keep things under lock and key. You can just catalogue it as normal and have the URL in the item's record if you're not obsessed with circ stats.

    You are correct that you can just link things up in this fashion through the 856u in MARC21.

    If you wanted to annoy your patrons in the name of statistics, you could always run the url to a passthrough site and collect the number of page hits. Not perfect, of course.

    If you really want to do a good job of making their tiny lives miserable, I'd recommend setting up a separate item type, and possibly even a separate user type. You could set up the web based self checkout stuff, which is probably overkill, but hey, who knows?

http://www.web2learning.net/archives/5412

Hope this helped,
Brooke