[Koha] Help with documentation errors

Nicole Engard nengard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 07:18:06 NZDT 2012

Hello all,

I noticed that the 3.8 manual wasn't updating using the cron job we run
nightly and so Larry found the following errors (note that it's not just
the 3.8 English manual):

3.10, French:
fr/manual.xml:2181: parser error : CharRef: invalid decimal value
            les amendes est de 5 &#8364 (c'est |  dire qu'un adhérent ayant
accumulé
                                       ^
fr/manual.xml:2181: parser error : xmlParseCharRef: invalid xmlChar value 0
            les amendes est de 5 &#8364 (c'est |  dire qu'un adhérent ayant
accumulé
                                       ^
fr/manual.xml:2186: parser error : CharRef: invalid decimal value
            qui porterait la somme totale due par l'adhérent |  5 &#8364.
Selon
                                                                         ^
fr/manual.xml:2186: parser error : xmlParseCharRef: invalid xmlChar value 0
            qui porterait la somme totale due par l'adhérent |  5 &#8364.
Selon
                                                                         ^
fr/manual.xml:5968: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: chapter
line 85 and section
      </section>
                ^
fr/manual.xml:15191: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: book
line 4 and section
   </section>
             ^
fr/manual.xml:15192: parser error : Extra content at the end of the document
  </chapter>
  ^
unable to parse fr/manual.xml

3.8, English:
en/manual.xml:41551: parser error : Premature end of data in tag para line
41550
        information.
                     ^
en/manual.xml:41551: parser error : Premature end of data in tag section
line 41527
        information.
                     ^
en/manual.xml:41551: parser error : Premature end of data in tag appendix
line 41521
        information.
                     ^
en/manual.xml:41551: parser error : Premature end of data in tag book line 4
        information.
                     ^
unable to parse en/manual.xml

3.6, French:
fr/manual.xml:18780: parser error : CharRef: invalid decimal value
              Ne pas rentrer de signes monétaires ($, &#8364 )</para>
                                                             ^
fr/manual.xml:18780: parser error : xmlParseCharRef: invalid xmlChar value 0
              Ne pas rentrer de signes monétaires ($, &#8364 )</para>
                                                             ^
fr/manual.xml:18818: parser error : CharRef: invalid decimal value
              Ne pas rentrer de signes monétaires ($, &#8364 )</para>
                                                             ^
fr/manual.xml:18818: parser error : xmlParseCharRef: invalid xmlChar value 0
--

So, it looks like the 3.10 French, 3.8 English, and 3.6 French manuals are
not updating. However, the 3.6 English one should be.

My question is, how do encoding errors like the ones on the English manual
happen? I looked at that line in the code and see nothing, I even deleted
that line and still can't save the file because it tells me that there are
encoding errors in the file.  Any help would be greatly appreciated so that
I can get the 3.8 manual back on track.

Nicole

PS. If you know how to fix it you're free to submit a patch of course!!