[Koha] Do you like the way Koha is sorting facets and facets results ?

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Tue Nov 20 06:22:29 NZDT 2012

Stefano and Mathieu,

Looking at the Perl script that generates Koha facets, in my opinion they
> are not good and... cannot be better :-)
> I found a very good solution in the Solr demo of BibLibre. Try
>
> http://catalogue.solr-demo.biblibre.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?q=*%3A*&filters=
> that retrieves all records in the catalog.
> I think that facets cannot be generated but the indexer itself. Don't know
> if Zebra can generate them. Hope yopu find a solution.

The in-Koha faceting is, indeed, dreadful.

Zebra can generate facets for CHR indexes, which leaves us with a problem
for ICU. However, I think there may be a workaround: using key (i.e.
untranslated) indexes for facet building. I started to fiddle with this
last week but did not get very far yet. Better faceting is one of my goals
for the Search rewrite (
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/C_&_P_Search_Rewrite_RFC). QueryParser
has a special facet syntax which I look forward to using (eventually) to
allow us to add and remove facets from searches.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/