[Koha] Lists; needed features, including location and staff level sharing

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Nov 6 08:36:28 NZDT 2012

We use 3.8 and are trying to enable our users to make more independent use
of the catalog (instead of relying on the staff to look everything up, as
they did  in our old system).

On the public service side, I can see at least two important uses for lists:
1) For staff to create mini-bibliographies for topics in high demand.
2) For patrons to choose what material they would like to consult - a
shopping list as it were (and quite often, this list will be passed on to
the staff, because they will need to retrieve some items from other
locations).

But, once you create a list, the printout is not very useful.
In the OPAC, the list gives title, author, publishing
info, availability and call number. Theoretically one could print out the
list and then wander around the stacks fetching the items.

But there's a  serious flaw in the system.  The list in the OPAC version,
does not show the shelving location.  Since only about a quarter of our
collection is on open shelves (and some of it is located by size)  this
means the reader is going to get  very frustrated. We have not included
location information as part of the call number, as it can and does change,
and would potentially complicate the browse the shelves feature.

Imagine my surprise and disappointment when I discovered that the Staff
interface view of the same lists gives substantially less (rather than
more) information.

If our staff needs to collect material from store rooms and locked cases,
they have to print out individual records.  This is actually a step
backwards from our old database, where we could print out a list with the
retrieval information for each item.

We've disabled the Cart function, so I don't know if that is any worse or
better.  If it will show location, I will re-enable it.

My second difficulty is the public / private  settings for lists.  It would
be very useful to have a third choice: Staff only.
Sometimes a list is a collaborative work, in progress, not ready (or
intended) for public consumption, but more than one person needs access to
it.
Sometimes a list is useful for communicating with other staff members (we
are rarely all in the same place at the same time)
I designed some templates with default text for the staff to use for
specific types of material, and I don't want these to be seen by the
public, but if I make them private, then the staff can't see them either.

Are solutions to the above problems in the pipeline for future versions of
Koha? Or should I file a bug/enhancement?

Thanks,

--
Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler