[Koha] Use of Google Analytics and +1 on Koha website

Peter Aronson dgllibrary+kohalist at peteraronson.com
Tue May 29 21:54:14 NZST 2012

Hello MJ,

> can Piwik be used in opt-in mode?  That is, no tracking unless the user consents.

It seems the next version of Piwik, due out in the next few days, will feature a cookie-free option to satisfy the UK's new "cookie law."

Piwik does offer an option, in its privacy settings, to anonymize visitors' IP addresses ("to comply with your local privacy laws/guidelines," it says), as well as the opt-out link already mentioned. But that may not meet your specific needs. I suppose it depends on the interpretation… I've read two interpretations of the law just now:

1. Providing a prominent disclaimer mentioning that you're using analytics and cookies, along with an opt-out link, is enough:
http://www.dailytech.com/UK+Law+Demanding+Tracking+Cookies+and+Analytics+Notification+Takes+Hold/article24790.htm

2. Opt-out is not good enough:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/UK-Cookie-Law-Cookies-Storing-Law-Permission-Subscribe,15791.html

Good luck!