[Koha] ISBN 13 to 10

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Fri Mar 16 11:15:46 NZDT 2012

Would some kind soul with "corporate memory" please give me background on
*why* the staff-admin page (basic search, search.pl) converts a 13 digit
ISBN to the "old style" 10 digit format?

As soon as you click on the title the details.pl page gives the 13 digits
as entered in the biblio record (and for completeness the OPAC appears to
only use the 13 digit format.)

The reason for the query is that our cataloguers have pointed out that an
"No results match your search for 'nb: 1551250934'" while the full
9781551250939 (i.e. with 978 at the beginning and correct check sum) for
the same book finds it instantly.

At some point in the past, someone must have considered this a "desirable
feature" -- I'm intrigued as to the reasons.

Thanks - Paul