[Koha] (no subject)

Joe jbalway at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 08:30:13 NZST 2012

We are not creating items for our periodicals. Currently we are using the
"Alternate Holdings Field" option to make holdings in a specific field show
up in the OPAC. Click on Administration in the More Menu and choose "Global
System Preferences". Click on Cataloging on the left side and scroll down
to "Record Structure". The first preference should be the "Alternate
Holdings Field" prefernce. What it does is use a specified field to show
holdings for records that do not have items associated with them. This is
ideal as we have non-standard holdings information for our out of date
periodicals. For titles that have subscriptions we enter "See Subscriptions
for More Details" in the "Alternate Holdings Field". We have copied and
pasted our non-standard holdings into the Manual History for the
subscriptions. They don't show up except in the brief history view, but the
information is there. None of this may be ideal, but it works. :-) It sure
beats paying $1,000 a year for an outdated and mostly useless periodicals
program. :-) We can actually search by subject now. :-)

Sincerely,
-Joe-

--
Joseph Alway
Access Services Coordinator

"The World's Great Literary Masterpieces. Freely Available At Your
Fingertips. Project Gutenberg. The Free Digital Library."
http://www.gutenberg.org