[Koha] Searching by the exact barcode in cataloguing

Kari Blomster m.kirjasto.hailuoto at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 22:06:03 NZST 2012

if enter a barcode it display me the exact title instead it display me all
the titles with barcode number prefix or suffix to my search. How to resolve
this kind of issue. Thanks and Regards

R Sunil Kumar
Library Technologist

'Hi,
Dear collagues Sunil and Owen,
I have a strong feeling that this issue was brought forward on some list
even before in some African contect. --

Bottom line is that you should avoid by all costs the idealization of item
number "1" in barcodes.

Barcode should have a similar structure (information is always in a certain
form!) througout the database. This means that when you establish it you
have to decide whether you shall have 1000, 10 000 or 100 000 books in your
library system.

For example, If you know you will some have day have over 1000 items in the
collection, you MUST NOT choose barcode structure fit to 999 items maximum!

When you have reserved the space in barcode structure to future and when
searching you must pay attention to the whole barcode space. Otherwise
computers give several alternatives and you must choose.
This also means For Example THAT item with barcode number "1" should be
"0001" in barcode structure of a library of over 1000 books.

Bottom line: Barcode "1" cannot be. It is not exact

Hope I helped your situation,
greetings to all,

Kari

-----