[Koha] Koha space usage

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Thu Jul 26 08:16:28 NZST 2012

On 26 July 2012 06:02, rfblanchard <rfblanchard at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm doing some investigation into the space usage on my server and noticed
> the following take the most space:
>
>    7.0  G         ***********************  ./var/lib/mysql
>    8.6  G        ************************
> ./var/lib/koha/kohapei/biblios/register
>    9.3  G        ************************
> ./var/lib/koha/kohapei/biblios/shadow
>
> The first folder is the database.
>
> Questions:
> 1) are the 'register' and 'shadow' directories and the files within
> generated during the zebra indexing?

Yes, when the index is created, its created in the shadow, then copied
to the register.
This means searching doesn't stop while things are being indexed.

> 2) is it normal for these directories to each be bigger than the size of the
> entire koha database?

Yes, it has to create indexes, on tons and tons of fields.

> 3) do these directories continue to grow with each reindex?

No, only as the bibliographic data grows

> 4) should I do anything to reduce the size of these directories?

Not if you want a functioning search ;)

> Thanks for any input

Hope it helps

Chris